Saturday, March 5, 2011

Happiness

Is it truly attainable? What does it look like?

The dictionary defines happiness as:
1.the quality or state of being happy.
2.good fortune; pleasure; contentment; joy.
Synonyms include pleasure, joy, exhilaration, bliss, contentedness, delight, enjoyment, satisfaction.  
 
Happiness, bliss, contentment, felicity  imply an active or passive state of pleasure or pleasurable satisfaction. Happiness  results from the possession or attainment of what one considers good: the happiness of visiting one's family. Bliss  is unalloyed happiness or supreme delight: the bliss of perfect companionship. Contentment  is a peaceful kind of happiness in which one rests without desires, even though every wish may not have been gratified: contentment in one's surroundings. Felicity  is a formal word for happiness of an especially fortunate or intense kind: to wish a young couple felicity in life.
 
According to this definition happiness is attained in relationship,  So what if you don't have the blessing of relationship and companionship? How do you attain happiness then? 
 
I recently had a friend wish me happiness.  They said that they wanted happiness in my life whether they were able to bring me happiness or if I attained it somewhere else.  They weren't offering me a relationship in the romantic sense of the word just a friend being a friend.  However, this statement brought tears to my eyes and I have been mulling over this idea ever since that conversation.  Some thoughts have been what is this HAPPINESS one speaks of? Can I actually reach it? Am I worthy of this ideal? If the answer is yes then how do I get there?  
 
Let me know your thoughts.  What does happiness look like to you? What makes you happy? I don't mean like gooey chocolate or heavenly ice cream happy I mean life altering happiness.  Joy, bliss, contentedness. Happiness that is not diminished by circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment